- Table View
- List View
This is the second edition and it has extensively revised text and new art work. The first edition was published in 1994. "It had levers of purple and panels of green. It had gizmos and gadgets and more. There were silvery gears, and a big motor, too. We spread them all out on the floor. I said, "Let's make a robot, a clever machine, that can run around doing the chores! We'll design it to sweep, and to vacuum the rugs. And it might even wax all the floors!" "Oh, but I've got a better idea!" said Sue. "Who cares if the carpet is clean? Why, we'll take all these parts and invent for ourselves, the world's very first Daddy Machine."
The first story tells of a magic ring. It grants the owner one wish, but there is always an unpredictable consequence for that wish. When a girl uses the wish to avoid drowning in the sea, she becomes a mermaid. This tale is about how she lives after that and how the ring is used again. The second story is more of a classic "three sons tale" with the youngest, who seems to have the least to offer, being the one who solves the most impossible part of a group task. The final story includes a bored grumpy king, an elf queen, too many taxes on the villagers, and how one smart boy solves all the problems.
There are 5 re-tellings of classic fairy tales, each with a twist. In "The Frog Prince" the prince is rescued by a boy his age and taken back to live in his family, which has two dads. The two boys grow up as brothers and no one is the wiser. In "Eaglerider," young Scarlett, being raised by her two mothers, wants to become an Eaglerider, previously a job only allowed to boys. One of her mothers offers to cut Scarlett's hair and dress her in boys' clothes so that she may become an Eaglerider. She changes her name to Red and proceeds to outwit a dragon and win the king and queen's praise. At the time of receiving a medal, she comes out as a girl, after which time the job is open to both girls and boys. The third tale, "Dragon Sense," tells of a boy named Peter who outwits a dragon to get jewels to pay the rent for his two mothers. The next story, "The Ogre's Boots" points out that being the smallest can have its own rewards to outwit an ogre and save a family and town from death. The final story, "The Prince Who Outlawed Jelly Beans" is a funny one. With sarcasm and humor, Anna and her friends draw the line when the silly prince outlaws families that have more or less than one mother and one father. Their plan worked, and jellybeans became legal to eat again. Other delightful stories by this author are available from Bookshare.
From the book: "Blue dads? BLUE dads!? I don't know who has dads that are blue!" "I do! My name is Lou. I have two dads who both are blue."
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.