- Table View
- List View
Inscription from the author: The Users of Bookshare.org-- May you find ways to fulfill your dreams and to help create a better world---Kumea Shorter-Gooden Shifting A RESOURCE FOR WOMEN THAT Finally gives a name to the behavioral changes and emotional ups and downs that Black women undergo in the face of bias Shows how age-old myths and stereotypes continue to affect Black women today Breaks down the coping mechanisms Black women utilize to deal with discrimination, such as "walling it off" and fighting back Candidly talks about the "home codes" Black women must follow within their own community, such as speaking a certain way or behaving submissively in church or with their partners Pointedly discusses how undervalued and overlooked many Black women feel in the workplace Shows the connection between dealing with bias and the disproportionately high rates of hypertension, obesity, and depressive symptoms among Black women Sheds light on the "Sisterella complex," a distinct manifestation of depression common among Black women Explores the "lily complex," the pressure Black women feel to reflect a White beauty ideal Provides answers and offers examples of how women can reconnect with their true selves by seeking professional counseling, starting their own businesses, joining support groups, or taking other proactive steps WHAT SETS THIS BOOK APART Based on the African American Women's Voices Project, this is one of the most comprehensive studies ever conducted of Black women's experiences with bias Engages all people, regardless of gender or ethnicity, with its poignant stories and common themes Unlike most books in the marketplace, Shifting explores the impact of both racial and gender bias on Black women Written in an accessible style; the dozens of women interviewed tell their personal stories in their own voices. Their honesty reminds readers that they are not the only ones dealing with certain challenges Weaves together the existing research on the impact of bias on Black women while also building upon it with original findings Gives a window into the experiences of 19 million Americans Shines a light on the persistence of bias and discrimination in the twenty-first century and provides insights for all Americans on how we might build a fairer and more just society
A rock band on the cusp of massive stardom, Unlocking the Truth is made up of three thirteen-year-old African American boys: Malcolm, Jarad, and Alec. When not in school they spend their time as rock stars opening for the likes of Queens of the Stone Age, Motorhead, and Guns N' Roses, and crowd surfing at Coachella. They are currently working on their soon to be released debut EP. The key to their success: hard work, dedication, passion, and focus on their art.Part memoir and part guide book, the boys share the essential truths and principles, such as faith, determination and friendship, that led to their success and continue to drive them. The book will inspire and be a resource for kids looking to realize their own dreams, as well as parents who want to support their children's aspirations.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.