- Table View
- List View
Heart Failure (HF) is the final and common pathway of all cardiovascular diseases. Heart Failure: Bench to Bedside helps address a significant need to develop new paradigms and to identify novel therapeutic targets for this pervasive disease. An authoritative contribution to the field, this book provides a detailed description of new findings and emerging methodologies, as well as a critical clinical evaluation of the complex HF syndrome and future therapies. Heart Failure: Bench to Bedside includes a primer on gene profiling and bioenergetics of the normal heart and a discussion of the molecular, genetic, biochemical and cellular techniques critical to understanding HF. Further chapters discuss cardiac remodeling, oxidative stress, and alterations in other organs and systems that are often associated with HF. This book thoughtfully evaluates current and forthcoming diagnostic techniques and therapies, pharmaceutical and pharmacogenomic-based individualized medicine, gene and cell-based therapies, and the search for new frontiers. Heart Failure: Bench to Bedside presents a clear view of up-to-date approaches to clinical diagnosis and treatment, as well as offering insightful critiques of original and creative scientific thoughts on post-genomic HF research.
Over the past two decades, due to dramatic advances in molecular and cell biology, biochemistry, and genetics, our view on mitochondria as a relatively static cellular powerhouse has changed radically. We now know that these organelles play a critical role in the normal and in the damaged heart. Written by Dr. José Marín-García, Director of the Molecular Cardiology and Neuromuscular Institute, Mitochondria and Their Role in Cardiovascular Disease brings readers up- to-date on the many significant advances in the field of mitochondrial cardiovascular medicine. The book begins with a general introduction to mitochondria, followed by laboratory methods to study the structure and function of the organelle, regulation of replication and biogenesis, and the mechanisms and functional consequences of mitophagia and mitochondrial dynamics. Subsequent chapters deal with mitochondrial oxidative stress and the role that the organelle plays in cell signaling and cell death. Discussions will be undertaken on the biochemistry of mitochondrial cell signaling, including the nature of the proteins engaged in these processes, many of them only recently discovered. Later chapters examine the role of mitochondria and mitochondrial abnormalities in cardiovascular diseases, including their diagnosis, therapeutic options currently available, animal models of mitochondrial disease, and new frontiers in mitochondria cardiovascular medicine, including areas of research that are relatively new or developing, such as proteomics, next generation sequencing, and systems biology.
Signal transduction pathways are at the core of most biological processes and are critical regulators of heart physiology and pathophysiology. The heart is both a transmitter and dynamic receptor of a variety of intracellular and extracellular stimuli, playing a critical role of an integrator of diverse signaling mechanisms. Alterations in signaling pathways are contributing factors in the development and progression of a broad spectrum of diseases, ranging from dysrhythmias and atherosclerosis to hypertension and the metabolic syndrome. Targeting specific components of these signaling pathways has been shown to be effective in preclinical studies with significant therapeutic impact. This book brings together current knowledge in cardiovascular cell signal transduction mechanisms, advances in novel therapeutic approaches to improve cardiac function, and discussion of future directions. Presented from a post-genomic perspective, this exciting book introduces important new ideas in cardiovascular systems biology. It is an invaluable reference for cardiology researchers and practitioners.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.