- Table View
- List View
Joseph F. Healey and Eileen O'Brien's Race, Ethnicity, Gender, and Class, Seventh Edition once again uses sociological theory to tell the story of race and other socially constructed inequalities in the United States with consistency and clarity. Through a vivid writing style and engaging pedagogical features, the authors ensure that readers engage with core concepts in a meaningful way. Current Debates, based on the writings of prominent scholars, journalists, and commentators, spark classroom discussion on important issues. First-person accounts, Narrative Portraits, are threaded throughout the text to bring life to a variety of topics.
Race, Ethnicity, Gender, and Class: The Sociology of Group Conflict and Change (5th edition, Election Update)by Joseph F. Healey
Healey (sociology, Christopher Newport U., Virginia) updates his textbook for undergraduate students, primarily but not exclusively those majoring in his discipline. He makes few assumptions about knowledge of history or sociological concepts. A unified set of themes and concepts links the multiple perspectives and on issues relating to minority groups in the US. This edition updates statistics, rearranges some of the text, adds and changes some visual elements, and provides a special report on the 2008 election. Chapters include debate questions, print and Web resources, questions for review and study, and an Internet research project. Annotation ©2009 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.