THE GREY MANE OF MORNING is a prequel--a tale of one of the earliest heroes of an enchanted land, of a time before the world was even given the name of Vandarei.
[from inside flaps] Red Moon and Black Mountain is a truly extraordinary first novel, a thrilling Sword-and-Sorcery tale that raises the art of fantasy to new heights. It transports the reader into an incredible, but totally convincing, world of black magic where the powers of darkness are awakening after a long and malevolent sleep. The story begins on Earth. Taking an outing in the countryside, Oliver, Penny and Nick Powell find their path blocked by a gate in the forest. Climbing to the top, the three youngsters leap down, and the split second that they are in the air turns into an eternity, an incredible plunge through limbo which mercifully dissolves into unconsciousness. When they awake, they are no longer on Earth. Separated from his younger brother and sister, Oliver finds himself standing on a nearly treeless plain. But soon he is discovered by a tribe of nomads who give the confused youth a tumultuous welcome. Accepted into the tribe, Oliver is trained in all the arts of war, and as time passes, he gradually forgets his past. Even his own name fades from his memory, for the nomads now call him Li'vanh, the Crowned Victor. In another part of the same world, Nick and Penny regain consciousness high up on the slope of a black mountain. There they meet Princess In'serinna, and, by the light of a red moon, witness a breathtaking battle between hundreds of white and black eagles. The black eagles nearly win. To In'serinna, an Enchantress of the Star Magic, the meaning is clear: the evil power of Fendarl, the Black Enchanter, is growing. And he has left the mountains at the edge of the world to destroy those who banished him there! The alarm spreads throughout the threatened lands, and when the nomads join forces to aid the Princess, Penny and Nick barely recognize Oliver. For Oliver has proven himself to be a great warrior, and fate has decreed that he alone has any hope of facing Fendarl in mortal combat and winning against his hellish powers! Few works outside of Tolkien's world-famous The Lord of the Rings can begin to compare with Red Moon and Black Mountain. With sheer imaginative genius, Joy Chant has conjured up an entire world, and her creation is sure to be ranked among the all-time classics of the genre."
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.