In this illuminating tour of humanity, Joy Hendry and Simon Underdown reveal the origins of our species, and the fabric of human society, through the discipline of anthropology. Via fascinating case studies and discoveries, they unravel our understanding of human behaviours and beliefs, including how witchcraft has been used to justify misfortune, and debunk old-fashioned ideas about "race" based upon the latest genetic research. They even share what our bathroom tells us about our concept of the body - and ourselves. From our evolutionary ancestors, through our rites of passage, to our responses to globalization, Hendry and Underdown provide the essential first step to understanding the world as an anthropologist would - in all its diversity and commonality.
The first introductory guide to explore both biological and cultural approaches to the study of humanity, from the origin of our species, to traits that we all share, to the vast range of our sacred rites and rituals. Hendry and Underdown bring anthropology to life with case studies, explaining why witchcraft was so feared in colonial Salem but embraced in Sudan and elsewhere and what our relationship with mobile phones (and even the bathroom) tells us about ourselves. Joy Hendry is Professor of Social Anthropology at Oxford Brookes University in the UK and is author of Sharing Our Worlds: An Introduction to Social Anthropology. Simon Underdown is Senior Lecturer in Biological Anthropology also at Brookes University in Oxford.
The text is written primarily for students taking up the study of social anthropology.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.