- Table View
- List View
The latest entry in the Guides to Biomes of the World series from Greenwood Press focuses on arctic and alpine climate zones, also known as the tundra, and provides a detailed study of the hardiest flora and fauna on the planet. Quinn (California State U., Fresno) offers straightforward descriptions of each of these biomes, dividing the information between arctic, Antarctic, alpine and even tropical alpine biomes such as the Andes and the highest zones of Hawaiian volcanoes. Written primarily as a textbook for geography students, this book also features vivid color photographs from these regions. Annotation ©2008 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Physical geographer and cartographer Quinn (retired, California State U.-Fresno) begins by explaining features common to the living systems in deserts, among them the physical environment and plant and animal adaptations. Then she focuses in turn on warm, cold, and west-coast fog desert biomes, beginning again with global features of the type, then surveying examples in regions on various continents. Readers can learn about a particular desert or desert type that interests them, she says, but will miss much nuance without the larger picture. She uses common names of species, but appends Latin binomial at the end of each chapter. Annotation ©2009 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.