The latest entry in the Guides to Biomes of the World series from Greenwood Press focuses on arctic and alpine climate zones, also known as the tundra, and provides a detailed study of the hardiest flora and fauna on the planet. Quinn (California State U., Fresno) offers straightforward descriptions of each of these biomes, dividing the information between arctic, Antarctic, alpine and even tropical alpine biomes such as the Andes and the highest zones of Hawaiian volcanoes. Written primarily as a textbook for geography students, this book also features vivid color photographs from these regions.
Physical geographer and cartographer Quinn (retired, California State U.-Fresno) begins by explaining features common to the living systems in deserts, among them the physical environment and plant and animal adaptations. Then she focuses in turn on warm, cold, and west-coast fog desert biomes, beginning again with global features of the type, then surveying examples in regions on various continents. Readers can learn about a particular desert or desert type that interests them, she says, but will miss much nuance without the larger picture. She uses common names of species, but appends Latin binomial at the end of each chapter. Annotation ©2009 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.