- Table View
- List View
In this exceptionally important new work, a panel of distinguished authors discusses all the latest developments in the study of ocular transporters. Focusing on the molecular characteristics, localization, and substrate specificities in various compartments of the eye, this volume discusses how transporters regulate the clarity of the cornea and lens, the movements of fluids across the ciliary epithelium and nutrients across the retinal pigment epithelium.
An exciting contribution to the field, Visual Dysfunction in Diabetes: The Science of Patient Impairment and Improvement is designed with two overriding objectives: to help readers understand the impact of vision impairment in people living daily with diabetes rather than considering diabetic retinopathy solely as a medical problem, and to explore what we know and don't know about the ways diabetes affect the eye. With the plethora of new information being generated, there are still a series of fundamental questions that must be addressed if effective treatments for diabetic retinopathy are to be found and applied. Developed by a renowned group of authorities, Visual Dysfunction in Diabetes: The Science of Patient Impairment and Improvement offers responses and context for a range of questions, such as: do metabolic factors beyond glucose contribute to vision-threatening diabetic retinopathy? If so, how do these lead to vision impairment? Is diabetic retinopathy a response to systemic metabolic abnormalities or are there unique ocular problems related to insulin resistance? What is the relationship between the neural, vascular, and inflammatory abnormalities in diabetic retinopathy? Do they represent a pathological cascade induced sequentially or simultaneous responses to one or more metabolic perturbations? The authors note that if we do not address these types of questions, it is possible that the long process of developing new therapeutics will target only one arm of the pathology and leave the retina open to damaging consequences of the others. State-of-the-art, comprehensive, and an invaluable addition the research and clinical literature, Visual Dysfunction in Diabetes: The Science of Patient Impairment and Improvement offers guidance and a significant step toward new scientific approaches that can lessen the devastating vision impairment associated with diabetes.
This book reveals not only how the eye evolved into an organ of vision, but also describes how molecular mechanisms of key molecules operate in the phototransduction cascade. In this groundbreaking text, experts also explain mechanisms for sensing radiation outside of the visible wavelengths. Comprehensive and penetrating, the book brings together the mechanisms of the visual transduction cascade and is an invaluable text for everyone conducting research in the visual system.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.