- Table View
- List View
Sorcery Rising is a 470 page conventional fantasy novel written by Jude Fisher and first published in 2002. It is the first novel of a series by Fisher entitled Fool's Gold; Wild Magic is the first sequel. Katla is a skilled sword maker from a free country of the North. When she attends a festival in a city within the borders of the powerful and tyrannical southern empire, she exuberantly climbs a sacred rock and thus breaks a law against women promoted by the empire's intolerant and rules-bound priesthood. She faces a death sentence, but a nobleman of the empire is attracted by her beauty and independence. The description of the novel by DAW Books reads as follows: DAW is proud to present Sorcery Rising- a book which we believe will prove to be one of the most exciting fantasy debuts of our time. Its author, Jude Fisher, is a major U.K. publisher who oversees the British publication of all of J.R.R. Tolkien's work-which led to her writing The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings Visual Companion. Filled with magic and magical quests, war and deception, sex and romance, and painted on a canvas rich with different fantastic cultures and exotic landscapes, and with one of the most dynamic and charismatic heroines to ever grace the pages of a fantasy novel, Sorcery Rising is a true blockbuster.
Wild Magic is a 500 page conventional fantasy novel first published in 2003 and written by the Australian author Jude Fisher, a major U. K. publisher who oversees the British publication of all of J.R.R. Tolkien's work. This novel is the second book in a series entitled Fool's Gold; Sorcery Rising is the first novel in this series. The summary by DAW Books reads as follows: For generations, the countries of Eyra and Istria have been enemies, opposed in culture, society, and religious beliefs as well as by ongoing disputes over territory. The rugged Eyrans of the Northern Isles, driven from the mild climes of their ancient lands long ago-lands now considered part of the Istrian Empire-are a proud and strong people, honed by the harsh islands they have inhabited for centuries. Theirs is an egalitarian, seagoing culture, where men and women work side by side and are equally blessed in the eyes of their god, Sur, who they believe dwells in a great stronghold beneath the waves, deep down on the ocean bed. The Istrians, however, who live in the warm lands of the south, have little love of the sea, and worship Falla, a goddess who is said to have emerged unscathed from the volcano that birthed her in the Golden Mountains. They call her merciful, yet the Istrians burn unbelievers and wrongdoers by the thousands-sacrifices to appease Falla and hold her at bay in the molten heart of the world. Though their goddess is female, they consider their women little more than chattel, keeping them veiled by a garment that leaves only their hands and their mouths visible. Once a year these ancient enemies put their differences aside and meet to trade at the Allfaira gathering to which all peoples are welcome, even the caravans of the magical nomadic tribes called the Footloose. But at the most recent Allfair disaster struck. Open hostilities flared once more between Eyra and Istria, threatening to bring all-out war to the world of Elda. But the opposing countries are not fully at fault, for powerful forces are at work which could change their world and everyone in it. Magic is reawakening, and those caught in the maelstrom of its wild power will be irrevocably altered.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.