- Table View
- List View
Stories by Clarke, Brunner, Singer, Nourse, Leiber, Farrell, Becker, Baker, Disch and many more.
Judith Merril's collection of stories and poems some by renown authors.
Judith Merrill is perhaps better known now as an editor. She published the first best of the year collections to emerge in the 1960s but was an accomplished writer in her own right. These short novels feature woman protagonists and have at least a tinge of feminism. They are worth reading in themselves but are also worthy of note as early examples of feminist writing.
In the dozen years (1948 to 1960) since her first published story, Judith Merril has won a very special place in fiction. Her stories of today and the near and far future focus unerringly on the people in them--not the Gimmick or the Gadget. Now from that dozen years of work, author and critic Theodore Sturgeon has selected seven of her best--stories of people in love and hate, stories of real men and women living in worlds that only Judith Merril could imagine. These stories include: That Only a Mother; Peeping Tom; The Lady Was a Tramp; Whoever You Are; Connection Completed; Dead Center; Death Cannot Wither. While there is no overt sex or extreme violence in these stories, they are definitely not written with the supposedly typical 12-yera-old science fiction reader in mind.
This is a collection of eight science fiction stories from the Soviet Union, which first appeared there from the 1940s to the 1960s. Stories included are: "The Conflict" and "Robby" by Ilya Varshavsky; "Meeting My Brother" by Vladislav Krapivin; "A Day of Wrath" by Sever Gansovsky; "An Emergency Case" and "Wanderers and Travellers" by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky; "The Boy" by G. Gor; and "The Purple Mummy" by Anatoly Dneprov.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.