- Table View
- List View
Stories by Clarke, Brunner, Singer, Nourse, Leiber, Farrell, Becker, Baker, Disch and many more.
Judith Merril's collection of stories and poems some by renown authors.
Judith Merrill is perhaps better known now as an editor. She published the first best of the year collections to emerge in the 1960s but was an accomplished writer in her own right. These short novels feature woman protagonists and have at least a tinge of feminism. They are worth reading in themselves but are also worthy of note as early examples of feminist writing.
In the dozen years (1948 to 1960) since her first published story, Judith Merril has won a very special place in fiction. Her stories of today and the near and far future focus unerringly on the people in them--not the Gimmick or the Gadget. Now from that dozen years of work, author and critic Theodore Sturgeon has selected seven of her best--stories of people in love and hate, stories of real men and women living in worlds that only Judith Merril could imagine. These stories include: That Only a Mother; Peeping Tom; The Lady Was a Tramp; Whoever You Are; Connection Completed; Dead Center; Death Cannot Wither. While there is no overt sex or extreme violence in these stories, they are definitely not written with the supposedly typical 12-yera-old science fiction reader in mind.
This is a collection of eight science fiction stories from the Soviet Union, which first appeared there from the 1940s to the 1960s. Stories included are: "The Conflict" and "Robby" by Ilya Varshavsky; "Meeting My Brother" by Vladislav Krapivin; "A Day of Wrath" by Sever Gansovsky; "An Emergency Case" and "Wanderers and Travellers" by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky; "The Boy" by G. Gor; and "The Purple Mummy" by Anatoly Dneprov.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.