- Table View
- List View
In October 1956, a spontaneous uprising took Hungarian Communist authorities by surprise, prompting Soviet authorities to invade the country. After a few days of violent fighting, the revolt was crushed. In the wake of the event, some 200,000 refugees left Hungary, 35,000 of whom made their way to Canada. This would be the first time Canada would accept so many refugees of a single origin, setting a precedent for later refugee initiatives. More than fifty years later, this collection focuses on the impact of the revolution in Hungary, in Canada, and around the world.
From A to Z all that is fishing is explained in this illustrated picture book using poetry and prose. Topics include angler, catch and release, fly-fishing, tackle, and more.
It is 1933 and the Great Depression has ravaged the nation. Millions of people are out of work; thousands of families are struggling to keep a roof overhead and food on the table. But Momma still finds ways to count her blessings (lucky stars) from Ruth's new shoes to Poppa's new job. But where Momma sees the 'bright, ' Ruth only sees the dark. Her shoes are hand-me-downs from a neighbor and Poppa's new job keeps him away from home for months. And now their town can't afford to keep the school open. Ruth will not be going to fourth grade even though she's one of the brightest students in her class. How can anyone find the good in that? But when Ruth stops thinking of her own problems and focuses on someone else's, she realizes that being a lucky star is the best way to start seeing your own lucky stars.
Bring the magic of poetry to life with R is for Rhyme: A Poetry Alphabet. From acrostics and ballads to meter and metaphor, author and poet Judy Young has written a delightful collection of poems to illustrate poetic tools, terms and techniques. Each term or technique is demonstrated in an accompanying poem so readers can see the method at work. Whether haiku or rap, sonnets or cinquain, budding writers of all ages will be inspired to put their imaginations to work crafting their own poems.
[From the dust jacket:] "Welcome to the Show Me State. It's Missouri and I think it's great! If you'll come along with me I'll show you Missouri from A to Z. What a fun way to learn about Missouri! Author and poet, Judy Young, and illustrator, Ross Young, invite children to go with them on an alphabetical adventure through Missouri. They will "show you" the Show Me State with poems, pictures, and facts. S is for Show Me: A Missouri Alphabet is a book for all ages. Young children will enjoy learning the alphabet. Older children and adults will learn about Missouri's history, geography, famous people, events, plants, and wildlife. Everyone, young and old, will love to look at the colorful illustrations and "show each other" the hidden details in the pictures. Flip through pages and enjoy the poems that "show off" the Show Me State." Satisfy your curiosity about any of the states in the United States by looking in the Bookshare collection for the alphabet books for the state where you live or the states where your family and friends live. Some feature picture descriptions including, P is for Potato, B is for Buckeye, S is for Sunflower, S is for Show Me, and C is for Centennial.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.