- Table View
- List View
[from the back cover] "Cartier Diamond Dagger Award winner Julian Symons has long been acknowledged as the doyen of British crime writers. Here he turns the spotlight on the evil side of human nature in a compelling anthology of murder and suspense. The Man Who Hated Television contains short stories written specially for this collection as well as classics like Et In Acadia Ego, each demonstrating the incisive storytelling for which this author was renowned."
Hugh Bennett, young reporter on a local paper, witnessed a terrible crime - a group of boys stabbed a man to death on Guy Fawkes' night, right in front of the fire on the village green. But as Bennett attempts to write the story for his paper, doubts begin to creep in about what he had actually seen, and he finds himself facing an immense moral dilemma. On first publication, The 'Progress of a Crime' was seen as setting new standards in crime fiction.<P><P> Edgar Allan Poe Award Winner
13 mysteries by P. D. James, Gwendoline Butler, Dick Francis, Michael Gilbert, Christianna Brand, Michael Innes, Patricia Highsmith, Celia Fremlin, H. R. F. Keating, Michael Underwood, Ngaio Marsh, Peter Dickinson, and Julian Symons.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.