- Table View
- List View
The Girls' Guide to Friends: Straight Talk on Making Close Pals, Creating Lasting Ties, and Being An All-Around Great Friendby Julie Taylor
Hey, girlfriend! Would you just die if your best friend moved away? Or what if that guy chatting you up in science class turns out to have a crush on your pal and not you? Are you fighting with a friend because she is constantly breaking plans with you to hang with her "cooler" buddies? Do you wish you could come up with more creative ways to spend time with your friends that don't involve shopping, or watching television? Well, if you are like most girls, your friends are the most important people in the world and you can't imagine life without them--even when they are working your last nerve. In The Girls' Guide to Friends, relationship expert Julie Taylor gives you the inside scoop on creating real friendships that will last. Filled with the wisdom of a cool big sister who truly understands your feelings,The Girls' Guide to Friendsoffers advice on making the most of the time you spend with your friends, and how to deal with tough issues, too. With a quiz at the end of every chapter,The Girls' Guide to Friendswill help you realize your true friend potential with insightful questions like: * Are you a friend magnet or a push-away pal? * Do you resort to the silent treatment or go ballistic when a friend makes you mad? * Are you a wild child who loves a huge bash or do you prefer sleepovers with only your closest pals? Celebrate the amazing power of friendship withThe Girls' Guide to Friendsas your guide and become the best pal you can be.
Tango. A multidimensional expression of Argentine identity, one that speaks to that nation's sense of disorientation, loss, and terror. Yet the tango mesmerizes dancers and audiences alike throughout the world. In Paper Tangos, Julie Taylor--a classically trained dancer and anthropologist--examines the poetics of the tango while describing her own quest to dance this most dramatic of paired dances.Taylor, born in the United States, has lived much of her adult life in Latin America. She has spent years studying the tango in Buenos Aires, dancing during and after the terror of military dictatorships. This book is at once an account of a life lived crossing the borders of two distinct and complex cultures and an exploration of the conflicting meanings of tango for women who love the poetry of its movement yet feel uneasy with the roles it bestows on the male and female dancers. Drawing parallels among the violences of the Argentine Junta, the play with power inherent in tango dancing, and her own experiences with violence both inside and outside the intriguing tango culture, Taylor weaves the line between engaging memoir and insightful cultural critique. Within the contexts of tango's creative birth and contemporary presentations, this book welcomes us directly into the tango subculture and reveals the ways that personal, political, and historical violence operate in our lives.The book's experimental design includes photographs on every page, which form a flip-book sequence of a tango. Not simply a book for tango dancers and fans, Paper Tangos will reward students of Latin American studies, cultural studies, anthropology, feminist studies, dance studies, and the art of critical memoir.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.