- Table View
- List View
Nineteen stories of myth and magic through the centuries Here are nineteen original stories of myth, magic, and the creatures of fantasy, as seen through different historical eras from the Age of Antiquity to the Age of Sails, the Colonial Age, the Age of Pioneers, the Pre-Modern Age, and the Age to come, including: The Curse Tablet by Nina Kiridi Hoffman, To Play the Game of Men by Caitlin Sweet, Mist Wraith by Urania Fung, Written in Smoke by Karina Summer-Smith, Cloud Above Water by Natalia Millman, Crossing the Waters by Ika Vanderkoeck, Here There Be Monsters by Brad Carson, A Swift Changing Course by Jana Paniccia, Blood and Soil by Ceri Young, Fletcher's Ghost by Liz Holliday, Immigrant by Sandra Tayler, A Small Sacrifice by Kristen Bonn, Pony Up by Linda A. B. Davis, Gold at the End of the Railroad by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, The Stone Orrery by Jennifer Crow, Sphinx! by Tony Pi, A Bird in the Hand Queenie Tirone, Mars Bound by K. J. Gould, Angels and Moths by Costi Gurgu.
They are the last survivors of their race, beings who live on and communicate through energy, who are capable of assuming the shape of any other species. When their youngest member is assigned to a world considered safe to explore, she is captured by the natives. To escape, she must violate the most important rule of her kind, and reveal the existence of her species to a fellow prisoner--a human being. Now her race is in danger of extinction, for even if the human does not betray her, the Enemy who has long searched for her people may finally discover their location....
This is the second book in the Species Imperative SF series and follows Survival. The heroine of this series is quirky, capable and well-drawn. The aliens are many and varied and the first two books make for two interesting and interwoven plots.
The fascinating debut of the prequel series to The Trade Pact Universe, This prequel to The Trade Pact Universe series begins in a time before the Clan had learned how to manipulate the M'hir wind to travel between worlds. Aliens have begun to explore the world of Cersi, upsetting the delicate balance between the Clan and the two other powerful races who coexist by set rules. One young woman is on the verge of finding the forbidden secret of the M'hir, a discovery that could prove the salvation or ruin of her entire species. In this earlier time, the Clan are a people divided into small tribes, scattered over a fraction of their world.
Connor, Mac to her friends and colleagues, was a trained biologist, whose work had definitely become her life. And working at Norcoast Base, set in an ideal location just where the Tannu River sped down the west side of the Rocky Mountains to the Pacific Coast was the perfect situation for Mac. She and fellow scientist Dr. Emily Mamani were just settling in to monitor this year's salmon runs when their research was interrupted by the unprecedented arrival of Brymn, the first member of the alien race known as the Dhryn to ever set foot on Earth. Brymn was an archaeologist, and much of his research had focused on a region of space known as the Chasm, a part of the universe that was literally dead, all of its worlds empty of any life-forms, though traces existed of the civilizations that must once have flourished in the region. Brymn had sought out Mac because she was a biologist--a discipline strictly forbidden among his own people--and he felt that through her expertise, she might be able to kelp him discover what had created the Chasm. But Mac had little interest in alien races and in studies that ranged beyond Earth, and as politely as she was capable of, she tried to make it clear that she was unwilling to abandon her own work. However, the decision was soon taken from her hands when a mysterious and devastating attack resulted in the abduction of Emily, and Mac Iii was forced to join Brymn and the Earth special agents. Suddenly, it appeared that Earth itself might be threatened by the legendary race the Brymn called the To, the beings they thought might be the destructive force behind the Chasm. Cut off from everything and everyone she knew, Mac found herself in grave danger and charged with the responsibility of learning everything she could that might possibly aid Earth in protecting the human race from extinction...
This is Julie Czerneda's fifth novel and takes the story of Captain Morgan, a human, and his lover, decidedly something else, to its conclusion. It is a novel about how a race can learn to rethink its whole social structure because of changing circumstances. It is also a novel about the clash of cultures in a complex universe.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.