- Table View
- List View
A Thai Buddhist and US-trained historian, Tiyavanich weaves together stories about Siam in the 19th and early 20th centuries that illuminate the life of the Buddhist culture. They tell of village monks encountering giant snakes, a Christian missionary gored by an elephant, bandits and boatmen, a dog-bodhisattva, midwives, guardian spirits, and other topics. Distributed in the US by the University of Washington Press. Annotation ©2004 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Filled with lively anecdotes, Sons of the Buddha tells the early life stories of three master Buddhist preachers from Thailand, each of whom also have followings in Europe and North America. Ajahn Buddhadasa (1906-93), Ajahn Panya (b. 1911), and Ajahn Jumnien (b. 1936), all monks and abbots of monasteries, have been highly influential in Thai society and tireless in their public appearances and exhortations. A preacher must have common sense, know how to turn everyday life experience into Dharma lessons, and assess his audience so that he can make the most of his communications with them. Sons of the Buddha shows how three boys evolved into remarkable embodiments of the "preacher" ideal. Each would affect changes in moral attitudes and Dharma practices, restore Buddhism's social dimension, bridge the divide separating laypeople and monastics, and champion an open-mindedness toward other religions. In these delightful stories, we see what it was that led them to become so fearless and influential.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.