- Table View
- List View
When two young strangers meet by chance on the day of the San Francisco earthquake, they struggle to survive the terror of crumbling buildings, fire, looting, and chaos.
Can two kids survive the flames of the great Chicago Fire of 1871? Find out in this riveting historical fiction, part of the Survivor series.Nate Copper and his best friend Ryan love to sneak out at night to watch firefighters battle the blazes that have plagued Chicago all through the dry, windy summer of 1871. Wealthy Julie Flynn, suffocated by her overprotective parents, can't imagine adventures like Nate's--and he's definitely not a boy she would ever be friends with. But fate and fire throw Nate and Julie together on the dark and dangerous streets of Chicago, and in the chaos of the crowds, Julie is kidnapped. Nate has to try to figure out a way to free her before the wind-driven flames spreading across the city cut off their only chance of escape. Will Nate and Julie be able to survive?
When the raging Mississippi threatens their secret cache of hard-earned nickels and pennies, Molly and her white friend Garrett risk their lives to retrieve the money.
In 1894, Daniel and Carrie fight to survive as an uncontrollable forest fire threatens to destroy their small Minnesota mill town.
During almost four years at sea with her whaling captain father, thirteen-year-old Rebecca finds life both boring and difficult--especially when the ship is nearly sunk by a hurricane.
Bayou Teche, 1851No one in Lily LeGrand's Cajun community is willing to help search for Paul Courville, missing in the bayou along with his mean-spirited older brothers, William and Mark. Why should they? Paul's wealthy plantation-owner father has made no secret of his disdain for Cajuns like Lily's family. But Paul has always been kind to Lily, defending her against his brothers' merciless taunts and humiliating pranks -- and Lily refuses to turn her back on him when his life is in danger. On her own in the maze of the snake- and alligator-infested bayou, Lily knows she has more to fear than her father's wrath. Her treacherous journey will test both her knowledge of the swamp and her courage. Can she find Paul in time?
The Titanic -- April 14, 1912 Gavin Reilly is working in the Titanic's galley to earn his passage from Ireland to America. He can't wait to join his brother in New York. He has big dreams and bigger ambitions. Karolina Green is returning home to the States with her Aunt Rose after the death of her parents in England. She wants, more than anything, to mend her shattered life in New York. On a calm, clear April night their hopes and dreams turn into a nightmare -- like those of hundreds of other passengers on the Titanic. Rich and poor, famous and unknown, the people aboard the Titanic find themselves at the mercy of a cold seathat even the greatest ship ever built can't conquer. Few will live to remember the disaster the world still can't forget -- will Gavin and Karolina be among the survivors?
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.