- Table View
- List View
Working Knowledge: STEM Essentials for the 21st Century is designed to inspire a wide range of readers from high school and undergraduate students with an interest in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) to STEM teachers and those who wish to become teachers. Written by renowned scientist and teacher Dr. Karl Hess of the University of Illinois at Urbana, a member of both the National Academy of Sciences and the National Academy of Engineering, the book presents a critical collection of timeless STEM concepts and connects them with contemporary research advances in addition to the needs of our daily lives. With an engaging and accessible style not requiring a formal background in STEM, Dr. Hess takes the reader on a journey from Euclidean Geometry and Cartesian Coordinates up through 21st Century scientific topics like the global positioning system, nanotechnology, and super-efficient alternative energy systems. Working Knowledge: STEM Essentials for the 21st Century at once serves as an almanac on the fascinating physical, chemical, quantitative features of the natural world and built environment, as well as a need-to-know list of topics for students, teachers, and parents interested in STEM education.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.