- Table View
- List View
Working Knowledge: STEM Essentials for the 21st Century is designed to inspire a wide range of readers from high school and undergraduate students with an interest in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) to STEM teachers and those who wish to become teachers. Written by renowned scientist and teacher Dr. Karl Hess of the University of Illinois at Urbana, a member of both the National Academy of Sciences and the National Academy of Engineering, the book presents a critical collection of timeless STEM concepts and connects them with contemporary research advances in addition to the needs of our daily lives. With an engaging and accessible style not requiring a formal background in STEM, Dr. Hess takes the reader on a journey from Euclidean Geometry and Cartesian Coordinates up through 21st Century scientific topics like the global positioning system, nanotechnology, and super-efficient alternative energy systems. Working Knowledge: STEM Essentials for the 21st Century at once serves as an almanac on the fascinating physical, chemical, quantitative features of the natural world and built environment, as well as a need-to-know list of topics for students, teachers, and parents interested in STEM education.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.