You'd like to write science fiction. Maybe you already write the stuff but haven't had any sales yet. This section can help you start out on the road to success. There are two things you must accomplish to become a successful SF writer: become a writer of entertaining and thought-provoking stories, and market those stories successfully to a large audience. We'll look at how you can take steps toward both these goals, by easing you into the process of writing, and showing you how to plug into the SF writing and reading communities. The author of this book donated a digital copy to Bookshare.org. Join us in thanking Cory Doctorow for providing his accessible digital book to this community.
[from inside flaps] "His novels Ventus and Permanence have established Karl Schroeder as one of the new stars of hard SF. Now he extends his reach again, into Larry Niven territory, and back to the same distant future in which Ventus was set, to tell the story of Teven Coronal, a huge multiplicity of human civilizations inhabiting a ringworld. Far distant and isolated from the rest of spacefaring humanity, Teven suffers a mysterious invasion, one that will destroy its fragile ecologies and unique human diversity. Charles Stross says: "Lady of Mazes chews away at some hard questions about the significance of human existence in a world where artificial intelligence, post-humans, and beings indistinguishable from gods coexist with over a trillion people. Livia Kodaly lives in a pocket civilization in the fallow zone--a belt of orbital colonies in deep space that is supposedly uninhabited. She's a cultural diplomat, in a world where a people's attitude toward culture determines the technologies that will work for them and even determines their perceptions of their surroundings. But her world is under attack by an entity known as 3340, which is seeking to break down the horizons between cultures and destroy the locks that keep technologies in check. Schroeder recognizes that your choice of technology determines the way you live, and in Lady of Mazes he's created a puzzle-box of a novel that explores an uneasy dilemma: Is it better to live a fulfilling life or one free of external constraints? Is it even possible to live an unconstrained human existence in a future where there are no limits on the available technologies?" Classic SF writer Charles Harness says: "Two paragraphs into Schroeder we are plunged into the seductive virtual world of Livia Kodaly As a result of a near-fatal accident in childhood, she is left with a rare, unwelcome gift: She can perceive reality. When her home manifold is invaded by monsters, she surfaces to lead the counterattack. With great skill she fights back, and she supports her clear sense of reality with her inscape implants, her animas, her Society (images of family and friends), her angels (protective auras), her sims, her faeries (Peaseblossom and Cicada!), and so eventually recovers her homeland--and more." We SAY: Filled with action, ideas, and intellectual energy, Lady of Mazes is the hard SF novel of the year."
Young Jordan Mason, on the terraformed planet Ventus, has visions. Kidnapped by Calandria May--a human from offworld sent to investigate the AIs (the Winds) of Ventus--Jordan is desperate to find the meaning of his visions, desperate enough to risk calling down the Winds that destroy technology to protect the created environment, who descend and wreak havoc. As a result Jordan escapes from Calandria and sets out to discover his destiny on his own. Calandria and others, both human and AI, search for Jordan, who holds the key to catastrophe or salvation. Ventus is an epic journey across a fascinating planet with a big mystery--why have the Winds fallen silent? It is one of the major, ambitious SF novels of the year and the international launch of an important new hard SF writer.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.