- Table View
- List View
This book offers an initial road map to the lifelong, complex, and fascinating road of the disability experience. This book is primarily a guidebook for those with a mobility disability, with practical information about how to adapt your home, choose a wheelchair, explore your sexuality, take care of your body. This book is designed to help people make their adjustments sooner and more completely by explaining how one adapts to disability, and by addressing misconceptions that only delay your ability to adapt. Throughout it I have tried to foster the principles of choice, of control, and of your right to pursue your interests and convictions. Life on Wheels is also an effort to explain that inclusion is an innate right for everyone and that people with disabilities are excluded for reasons not based on a balanced or realistic understanding of what is possible. It's time our world caught up with the reality, closed that gap, and allowed millions of people with disabilities to play their full role in society.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.