- Table View
- List View
While trying to construct her family tree for a school assignment, eleven-year-old Tyler discovers her Amish heritage and other secrets about her family's past.
When a special gift for Grandma arrives one sunny day, a little girl decides to deliver the gift in person. Though Grandma's house is just a hop, skip, and a jump away, to the girl, it seems like a long way. And it takes a special kind of creativity to get there. So come along on this fun-filled journey of the imagination and discover where the world of make-believe can take you!
Mike Costa has lived his whole life in The Strip, Pittsburgh's warehouse and factory district. His father's large Italian family runs a food wholesale business, and Mike is used to the sounds and smells of men working all night to unload the trains that feed the city. But it's 1933, and the Depression is bringing tough times to everyone. Money problems only add to Mike's worries about his beloved grandfather, who is getting forgetful and confused. Mike is being tormented at school by a loud-mouth named Andy Simms, who calls Mike "Macaroni Boy. " But when dead rats start appearing in the streets, that name changes to "Rat Boy. " Around the same time Mike notices that his grandfather is also physically sick. Can whatever is killing the rats be hurting Mike's grandfather? It's a mystery Mike urgently needs to solve in this atmospheric, fast-paced story filled with vibrant period detail. From the Hardcover edition.
It's 1851 and Lucy Spencer's family is keeping a secret. Their Ohio home is a station on the Underground Railroad, the network of people and places that helps fugitive slaves escape to freedom in Canada. Lucy believes in what she and her family do to help the fugitives, even if it means putting herself in danger.So Lucy doesn't hesitate when she is asked to stay with the Widow Aurelia Mercer and help her with a family of runaway slaves hiding in her attic. And she learns so much from her experience--about growing up, love, and standing on her own. But what will Lucy do when she is asked to make the ultimate sacrifice and leave all she loves behind?
In 1851 there was a family staying in an Ohio home where all slaves were helped to escape. Lucy Spencer does not hesitate to help the slaves even if it causes danger to her. But Lucy has to make a sacrifice of something very dear to her.
Set in the 1880s, Valentine Harper heads West to the Colorado Silver Rush to find her father in this fast-paced adventure! Valentine Harper's father has been in Colorado for more than a year seeking his fortune in the Silver Rush. But she's tired of waiting for his overdue return. Aunt Margaret is nice, but Uncle Franklin seems unhappy to have an extra person in the house and Cousin Harold's pranks have been getting meaner. Unfortunately, a girl can't get far on her own in America in 1885. But with a haircut, the right clothes, and a big dose of courage, Vallie Harper just might make it on a journey across the country to look for her father, and pull off an adventure that will change her life.
"My name is Will Spencer. I come from a little town called Atwater, Ohio, and I bought this wagon to haul goods. But lately, I've been hauling more people than goods". Will Spencer's family has always helped runaway slaves passing through their town as they travel the Underground Railroad. But Will is ready to leave Atwater, Ohio, and start a life of his own as a peddler seeking his fortune. When a runaway slave asks Will to help steal his older brother out of the South to keep him from being sold into the hard life of the cotton fields, Will amends his plan and begins an adventure that will take him into the heart of slavery's evil. As he makes his way from Ohio to Kentucky, Will discovers that people are not always what they seem and that it's not always easy to tell right from wrong. After all, according to the law, stealing slaves is just as bad as robbing a man's house. Does that mean Will Spencer is a common thief? Or is he a young man doing what's right?
These suspenseful stories will leave readers on the edge of their seats! Each spine-tingling tale features a brave, clever girl solving an intriguing mystery at an important time in America's past. Things are disappearing from the Boston settlement house where Innie goes for her library club in 1908. As she tries to unravel the mystery, she starts looking guilty herself!
This garden is on the move! A good-time, rollicking celebration of things that grow. PEPPERS GROW UP. POTATOES GROW DOWN. PUMPKINS VINE AROUND AND AROUND. From seeds dropping into soil to corn bursting from its stalks, from children chasing butterflies to ants burrowing underground, everything in this vibrant picture book pulses with life -- in all directions! Sprightly illustrations set the mood for a rhythmic text that follows nature's course to a final feast of backyard bounty.
In their Pennsylvania town in 1942, twelve-year-old Charlotte and her classmates collect scrap metal for the war effort only to have it disappear from the school basement.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.