- Table View
- List View
Find your group's next great read with Atria Book Club Bites: a free sampling of ten books guaranteed to feed your discussion.Great books, dear friends, and fascinating conversation are the key ingredients in any book club. To help you decide what to read next, dip into Atria Book Club Bites: a free sampling of ten books guaranteed to feed your discussion. You'll find excerpts from: The Storyteller by Jodi PicoultThe Comfort of Lies by Randy Susan MeyersThe Book of Lost Fragrances by M.J. RoseThe Mapmaker's War by Ronlyn DomingueThe Best of Us by Sarah PekkanenOrdinary Grace by William Kent KruegerHeart Like Mine by Amy HatvanyThe Edge of the Earth by Christina SchwarzBird of Paradise by Raquel CepedaOut With It by Katherine Preston Whether your club enjoys contemporary women's fiction, stories with moral and ethical dilemmas, or a fascinating memoir, we've got a great book guaranteed to get you talking.
Socrates boldly proclaimed "the unexamined life is not worth living." At Atria, we think that the examined life is worth sharing. With that in mind, we present The Lives of Others, a free collection of excerpts from some inspiring memoirs by Atria's award-winning authors. Selections include: Badluck Way by Bryce Andrews Impossible Odds by Jessica Buchanan There's More to Life Than This by Theresa Caputo Bird of Paradise by Raquel Cepeda The Girl by Samantha Geimer The Distance Between Us by Reyna Grande Fields of Grace by Hannah Luce What If . . . by Shirley MacLaine Out with It by Katherine Preston By Some Miracle I Made it Out of There by Tom Sizemore
A vividly powerful memoir of a young woman who fought for years to change who she was until she finally found her voice and learned to embrace her imperfection. Imagine waking up one day to find your words trapped inside your head, leaving you unable to say what you feel, think, want, or need. At the age of seven that happened to Katherine Preston. From that moment, she began battling her stutter and hiding her shame by denying there was anything wrong. Seventeen years later, exhausted and humiliated, she made a life-changing decision: to leave her home in London and spend a year traveling around America meeting hundreds of stutterers, speech therapists, and researchers. What began as a vague search for a cure became a journey that debunked the misconceptions shrouding the condition, and a love story that transformed her conception of what it means to be normal. Shedding light on an ancient condition that affects approximately 4 million people in the United States and 60 million people worldwide, Preston has assembled an anthology of expertise and experience. In addition to specialists in the field, she interviews celebrities, writers, musicians, social workers, psychologists, and financiers--men and women from all walks of life battling their difficulties with speech. A heartwarming memoir and a journalistic feat, Out With It is more than a chronicle of one of the most prevalent speech problems in the world; it's a story about understanding yourself, and learning to embrace the voice within.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.