- Table View
- List View
College Reading and Study Skills teaches reading, critical thinking and study skills for today's diverse students, encouraging them to apply these integrated skill sets to their coursework and future academic success. Kathleen McWhorter wrote College Reading and Study Skills, primarily, for courses that are half reading, half study skills. Emphasizing comprehension and metacognition, College Reading and Study Skills approaches reading and study skills as essential skills necessary for college success. The text focuses on reading and learning as a cognitive process, encouraging students to approach reading as an active mental process of selecting, processing, and organizing information to be learned.
Reading and Writing About Contemporary Issues offers an integrated approach to reading and writing using a handbook for reference and instruction followed by readings for analysis and writing.
This innovative modes-based reader by reading expert Kathleen McWhorter supports an integrated approach to reading and writing with unique scaffolded instruction that guides students through comprehension, analysis, evaluation, and written response -- skills students will need to be successful in college. Compelling reading selections drawn from widely taught academic disciplines let students practice the work they're expected to do in other college courses.
Seeing the Pattern provides abundant help and support for inexperienced readers and writers through the application of tools and techniques that the author developed over more than thirty years of teaching.
The goal of Successful College Writing was to create a first-year composition text that covers the skills other college-level texts assume students already possess.
Other texts assume that first-year composition students already possess the basic skills they will need to succeed in college, but my own experience tells me that this is not true. That is why the author wrote Successful College Writing.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.