- Table View
- List View
The second title in the exciting Jobs That Matter series written by an award-winning blind journalist, Business Owners Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired demonstrates the wide range of careers and talents that can be pursued by persons with visual impairments. Each profile features a successful individual who has accomplished his or her dream of business ownership and who shares important insights. From a lawyer and an accountant to a florist and a gourmet cook, the range of engaging stories told will inspire young adults with visual impairments and the parents, teachers, and counselors who advise them.
12 case studies of blind people and their occupations.
The first volume in the Jobs That Matter series, Teachers Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired profiles 18 visually impaired individuals who have successfully fulfilled their dreams of becoming teachers. Included in this volume are educators of different ages, ethnic backgrounds, and geographic locations across the United States, who work in the classroom in ways that are both surprisingly similar and dramatically different from one another. These engaging individuals demonstrate how visually impaired teachers can be effective in their jobs and achieve classroom success and satisfaction. Designed to inspire young people who are blind or visually impaired, their families, and the professionals who work with them about careers that are available, the books in the Jobs That Matter series are meant to expand readers' horizons by showing a wide range of employment possibilities.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.