Advances over the past two decades have enabled physicians to revolutionize the manner in which they can assess and manage children's pain. Thirty years ago it was thought that young children did not experience pain and therefore it was not necessary to treat it. Today professionals from a variety of disciplines have contributed data that have revolutionized medical perspectives. Technological advances now enable doctors to treat acute pain in fetuses, premature neonates, infants, toddlers, children, and adolescents with increasing precision and efficacy. Research highlighting the context of chronic pain has moved them away from a mind-body dichotomy and toward an integrated, holistic perspective that leads to substantial improvement in children's adaptive functioning as well as subjective discomfort. This book covers these topics and is intended for anyone who provides medical care to children. Each chapter provides an overview of the problem, followed by a "hands on" description of relevant assessment and intervention strategies. The role of the primary care practitioner is highlighted, both as a front-line resource as well as a consumer of specialized pediatric pain treatment services. Each chapter ends with a summary and specific bullet points highlighting the most central elements, making for quick and easy reference.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.