- Table View
- List View
Advances over the past two decades have enabled physicians to revolutionize the manner in which they can assess and manage children's pain. Thirty years ago it was thought that young children did not experience pain and therefore it was not necessary to treat it. Today professionals from a variety of disciplines have contributed data that have revolutionized medical perspectives. Technological advances now enable doctors to treat acute pain in fetuses, premature neonates, infants, toddlers, children, and adolescents with increasing precision and efficacy. Research highlighting the context of chronic pain has moved them away from a mind-body dichotomy and toward an integrated, holistic perspective that leads to substantial improvement in children's adaptive functioning as well as subjective discomfort. This book covers these topics and is intended for anyone who provides medical care to children. Each chapter provides an overview of the problem, followed by a "hands on" description of relevant assessment and intervention strategies. The role of the primary care practitioner is highlighted, both as a front-line resource as well as a consumer of specialized pediatric pain treatment services. Each chapter ends with a summary and specific bullet points highlighting the most central elements, making for quick and easy reference.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.