- Table View
- List View
This is the story that launched a movement.At only 12 years old, Craig Kielburger was shocked to discover the realities of child labour faced by kids his own age throughout the developing world. Driven to take action and witness these conditions first-hand, he and his trusted mentor Alam embarked on a journey that would take him to places he'd never imagined.Free the Children recounts Craig's remarkable odyssey across South Asia, meeting some of the world's most disadvantaged children and learning the truth behind the headlines. Be there with him as he explores slums and sweatshops, fighting to rescue children from the chains of inhumane conditions. Along the way, he makes lasting friendships, enjoys wild adventures and launches the movement that would explode into an international sensation.Winner of the prestigious Christopher Award, presented to books "which affirm the highest values of the human spirit," Free the Children has been translated into eight languages and served as inspiration for thousands of young people around the world.
Michael turned 14 in May. By June, both his parents have died in a car crash. And for Michael, this means being suddenly uprooted and sent to live with relatives in St. Albert, hundreds of miles away. Hold Fast is the story of Michael's struggle in his new environment and his fight against those who stand as threats to his pride in himself and his way of life.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.