- Table View
- List View
Four lakes, rolling hills, and rocky formations are just a few of the earthly wonders that abound in the Madison area of Wisconsin. Known for its university atmosphere and charming neighborhoods, Madison is also an enclave of diverse natural beauty, and this remarkable guide describes every facet. Ranging from walks through the city proper to more rustic hikes outside town limits, there is a hike in this guide for outdoor enthusiasts of every level.
A comprehensive hiking guide to Madison and southern Wisconsin with detailed descriptions and maps for 60 of the greatest hiking spots in the area.
Best Tent Camping: Wisconsin, now completely updated for a third edition, continues to lead tent campers to the best of Wisconsin's varied recreational sites. Each profile includes a detailed campground layout map, GPS coordinates, descriptive text, and ratings for security, quiet, and beauty.Wisconsin is rich in both human and natural history. Originally settled by aboriginal Americans who used the ample rivers and lakes for travel, French voyageurs and United States pioneers followed, exploring a land shaped by glaciers and time. Green Bay and Prairie du Chien were settled first as furs, lead, and lumber attracted more settlers. The vast and varied landscape was evident to all who came to the Badger State. They saw sand dune-laden shores of Lake Michigan, lake-studded highlands of the North Woods, the ridges and valleys of the southwest, where the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers cut deep swaths through the land, and the deep gorges cut by dark, fast-flowing rivers forming waterfalls striving for Lake Superior.Today tent campers can enjoy these parcels, each distinct regions of Wisconsin. You can explore the surprisingly hilly terrain of Sidie Hollow, near the Illinois border. The bluffs of Perrot State Park overlook Minnesota. The central state has the remote and wild Black River State Forest, where timber wolves have reclaimed their old domain, with the quiet of East Fork campground returning you to nature. Here also are the big waters of Castle Rock Flowage, where Buckhorn's numerous walk-in tent camping sites await. A tent camper has to take two ferries to reach Rock Island State Park, Wisconsin's "furthest northeast" point. So many lakes dot Wisconsin's North Woods that you can literally camp on two lakes at once, such as Birch Grove campground in the Chequamegon National Forest, or Luna Lake/White Deer Lake campground in the Nicolet National Forest. And then there are the waterfalls of the North Woods. Marinette County calls itself the waterfall capital of Wisconsin. Two campgrounds in this book are situated along falls in Marinette County, with many other cascades nearby. Yet other falls are featured at other parks in this book.All this spells paradise for the tent camper. No matter what destination you have in mind, Best Tent Camping: Wisconsin is your indispensable guide.
Part travelogue, part memoir, The Yogurt Man Cometh is the story of Kevin Revolinski's year-long adventure as an English teacher in Turkey. Revolinski relates in candid style his encounters in a foreign culture, all told with an open mind and a sense of humor. An enjoyable read for anyone who has spent time in Turkey or who plans to do so.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.