- Table View
- List View
This fast-paced history entertains, informs and surprises. We think of the Celts as the people of Scotland, Ireland and Wales, but in 800 B.C. they were organized and prosperous farmers populating middle Europe including Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Hungary, and Austria. They were spiritual, had elaborate, fair, laws and worked in metals inventing plough-shares and horse shoes, and creating beautiful works of art. They were fastidiously clean and loved colorful, elaborate clothing, tales, songs and feasting. Centuries later in the Celtic countries we know today, they fought for nearly a thousand years to protect their culture and freedom. In Scotland and Ireland, they preserved art, history and literature during the dark ages. Driven from their homeland by the invading English, they poured in to the United States where they made major contributions to their new nation, in writing and signing The Declaration of Independence. Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, Ronald Reagan, and Bill Clinton, are some of the U. S. Presidents with Celtic roots. Andrew Carnegie and Alexander Graham Bell are examples of Celts who helped shape The United States in the past. Other notable Celtic Americans include Grace Kelly, George M. Cohan, and John Wayne, F. Scott Fitzgerald, The founder of Domino's Pizza and the CEO of Disney studios. This short history is a feast for history, trivia and culture buffs. The full bibliography and index are included.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.