- Table View
- List View
Gene Forrester reflects back to his experience fifteen years ago when he and Phineas, his best friend, were roommates in boarding school as World War II exploded. Best friends and yet rivals, the outcome is a crippling fall suffered by Finny - a fall for which Gene continues to blame himself in a self-punishment that can only lead to tragedy.
An American classic and great bestseller for over thirty years, A Separate Peace is timeless in its description of adolescence during a period when the entire country was losing its innocence to the second world war.Set at a boys' boarding school in New England during the early years of World War II, A Separate Peace is a harrowing and luminous parable of the dark side of adolescence. Gene is a lonely, introverted intellectual. Phineas is a handsome, taunting, daredevil athlete. What happens between the two friends one summer, like the war itself, banishes the innocence of these boys and their world. A bestseller for more than thirty years, A Separate Peace is John Knowles's crowning achievement and an undisputed American classic.
First published in 1959, A Separate Peace is an American classic.A bestseller for over 40 years, it has sold 7 million copies in paperback in the US alone and is widely-loved.Discover this timeless coming of age story for yourself...Set at a boys' boarding school in New England during the early years of World War II, A Separate Peace is a harrowing and luminous parable of the dark side of adolescence.Gene is a lonely, introverted intellectual. Phineas is a handsome, taunting, daredevil athlete.What happens between the two friends one summer, like the war itself, banishes the innocence of these boys and their world.Praise for A Separate Peace:'A novel that made such a deep impression on me at sixteen that I can still conjure the atmosphere in my fifties: of yearning, infatuation mingled indistinguishably with envy, and remorse' Lionel Shriver'A model of restraint, deeply felt and beautifully written' Observer'Exceptional power and distinction' The Times'Artistry of a high order' Saturday Review'A quietly vital and cleanly written novel that moves, page by page, toward a most interesting target' Truman Capote'Some books stay with you. Decades have passed since I first discovered A Separate Peace, but its impact remains unforgettable. It's a deeply moving coming of age story, set against the backdrop of war' M.L. Stedman, bestselling author of The Light Between Oceans'Is he the successor to Salinger for whom we have been waiting so long?' Encounter'A masterpiece' National Review
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.