- Table View
- List View
Written for beginning paraprofessional counselors, this textbook on crisis intervention outlines skills and strategies that Kanel (crisis intervention, California State U., Fullerton) found useful as a psychotherapist. She describes what can be defined as a crisis, the history of the field, ethical and professional issues, cultural sensitivity, and the ABC model of conducting mental health interviews with clients, which consists of three stages: developing and maintaining contact, identifying the problem and providing therapeutic interaction, and coping. She then outlines crises that are dangers, including suicide, self-mutilative behaviors, and psychotic breakdowns, and discusses gravely disabled mentally ill persons. Types of crises associated with stages of development, loss, AIDS and HIV, substance abuse, post-traumatic stress, disaster, and child, spousal, and sexual abuse are detailed. Indexes are divided by subject and name. Annotation ©2006 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
This practical nuts-and-bolts guide provides readers with the skills necessary to handle any crisis situation. The book utilizes the comprehensive ABC Model of Crisis Intervention, which can be used as effectively for day-to-day interactions as for emergency situations. A GUIDE TO CRISIS INTERVENTION, 5th Edition addresses such crises as drug abuse, secondary PTSD, crisis worker burnout, AIDS, suicide, death and dying, Alzheimer's, and victimization and abuse.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.