- Table View
- List View
This unique collection of translations of Chinese stories explores the manifestations of "self" and the impact of place upon Chinese identity, found both on the mainland and in other Chinese communities such as Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore. Though sharing a common cultural heritage, these four communities have different social, political, and economic realities; realities which are reflected in the stories' themes of self, identity, gender, and location. The stories not only demonstrate the diverse creativity of contemporary Chinese authors, they also express the aspirations and fears felt by many who live in places and circumstances where the mass media are controlled by the state and opportunities for open discussion are few and far between. Translated into English for the first time, the stories in A Place of One's Own demonstrate the exciting experimentation unfolding in the genre of the modern Chinese short story. Individually, the stories stand as important contributions to contemporary Chinese literature in translation; collectively as a comprehensive rendering of the transformation of Chinese society today.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.