- Table View
- List View
The Tale of Genji is a classic of Japanese literature written by Lady Murasaki in the early years of the 11th century, around the peak of the Heian period. This 1st Modern Library Giant Edition of English translation from Japanese by Arthur Waley is called the world's first novel-the first classic, modern and psychological-novel. The novel which illustrates a unique depiction of the livelihoods of high courtiers during the Heian period contains six parts, viz., The Tale of Genji; The Sacred Tree; A Wreath of Cloud; Blue Trousers; The Lady of the Boat and the Bridge of Dreams.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.