Increase your survival odds by creating and following an exercise program that counteracts the side effects of your treatment, speeds your recovery, and reduces your risk of recurrence. Most cancer patients and survivors think that "rest" will decrease their fatigue and speed their recovery. But in fact, rest can make patients weak and debilitated during treatment and may prolong hospitalization. Based on Dr. Anna Schwartz's research and her life's work as a nurse and a coach, Cancer Fitness offers cancer patients and survivors comprehensive advice and an easy step-by-step program to begin improving their physical and emotional health and reclaiming their lives beyond cancer. Through exercise, patients will regain some control over their body, manage side effects more successfully, and increase their body's ability to heal. Cancer Fitness provides clear directions to safely start an exercise program, and the tools to make exercise a long-lasting lifestyle change to heal body and soul.
The five-time Tour de France winner and Number 1New York Timesbestselling author returns with an inspirational account of his recent personal and professional victories--and some failures--and an intimate glimpse into how almost dying taught him to really live. Since the release of his megabestseller,It's Not About the Bike, Lance Armstrong has enjoyed a new series of thrilling rides, culminating with the extension of his string of Tour de France victories to a record-tying fifth in 2003. Continuing the inspiring story begun in his first book,Every Second Countscaptures the mind-set of a man who has beaten incredible odds and considers each day an opportunity for excellence. Armstrong's previous book recounted his journey from a grim diagnosis of testicular cancer to a stunning recovery that culminated in his winning the 1999 Tour de France. His new book addresses the equally daunting challenge of living in the aftermath of this experience and making the most of every breath of life. A fresh perspective on the spirit of survivors everywhere,Every Second Countswill invigorate and enthrall Armstrong's millions of admirers. "A joyous, triumphant book, a celebration of all the things that make life good. " --Booklist "There's something of a vicarious thrill in being along with Armstrong for the ride. " --San Antonio Express-News
The emotional, courageous story of an American World-Class bicyclist who is stricken with testicular cancer and his journey back to the peak of his sport - Tour de France winner.
A plain-English guide to the world's most famous-and grueling-bicycle race Featuring eight-pages of full-color photos from recent Tour de France races, this easy-to-follow, entertaining guide demystifies the history, strategy, rules, techniques, equipment, and competitors in what is arguably the most grueling and intriguing multiday, multistage sporting event in the world. Cowritten by the most popular English-speaking cycling commentator on the planet, this book is great reading for both experienced and the new bicycle racing fans alike.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.