- Table View
- List View
Siegel (criminology, U. of Massachusetts-Lowell) shares his enthusiasm for this diverse field, asking where else could one study the motivations of both mass murderers and the mass media. He takes an interactive approach and supplies a multitude of case studies and examples, ranging from narratives of crimes to the social contexts of aberrant behaviors ranging from rape to stock swindles. He starts with nature of crime and the contributions of criminology, defines victims and victimization, then works through current and past theories of crime and its causes, including the choice theory, trait and social structure theories, social process theories, critical criminology and developmental theories. Siegel explains the types of crimes, including the classics and the new twists in enterprise crime, and concludes with a comprehensive description of the criminal justice system. This is accessible and well-illustrative, and could serve well a general readership along with undergraduate students. Annotation ©2007 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Bestselling CRIMINOLOGY: THEORIES, PATTERNS, AND TYPOLOGIES, 10e delivers the most comprehensive, in-depth analysis of criminological theory and crime typologies available. Offering unparalleled breadth and depth of coverage, this book is unrivaled in its exhaustive research base and currency, devoting two all-new chapters to cyber-crime and terrorism--two of the hottest issues in the field today. Packed with real-world illustrations, the Tenth Edition includes cutting-edge seminal research, up-to-the-minute policy, newsworthy examples, and hundreds of new references. A proven author and authority in criminology and criminal justice, Dr. Siegel is renowned for his unbiased presentation of theories, issues, and controversies. Avoiding ideological biases, Prof. Siegel encourages readers to weigh the evidence and form their own conclusions.
JUVENILE DELINQUENCY: THE CORE, 5th Edition delivers cutting-edge coverage of essential theory, policy, and the latest research in one value-priced, reader-friendly paperback. Renowned for its balanced approach and engaging writing style, this brief book helps readers understand the nature of delinquency and its causes, as well as current strategies being used to control or eliminate its occurrence. Available with InfoTrac Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
Unrivaled in its current coverage of topics, the best-selling JUVENILE DELINQUENCY: THEORY, PRACTICE, AND LAW, Eleventh Edition, provides you with timely coverage of theory, policy, and the latest research. Praised for its balanced approach and for the authors? engaging writing style, this text will help you understand the nature of delinquency and its causes, as well as current strategies being used to control or eliminate its occurrence.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.