- Table View
- List View
Siegel (criminology, U. of Massachusetts-Lowell) shares his enthusiasm for this diverse field, asking where else could one study the motivations of both mass murderers and the mass media. He takes an interactive approach and supplies a multitude of case studies and examples, ranging from narratives of crimes to the social contexts of aberrant behaviors ranging from rape to stock swindles. He starts with nature of crime and the contributions of criminology, defines victims and victimization, then works through current and past theories of crime and its causes, including the choice theory, trait and social structure theories, social process theories, critical criminology and developmental theories. Siegel explains the types of crimes, including the classics and the new twists in enterprise crime, and concludes with a comprehensive description of the criminal justice system. This is accessible and well-illustrative, and could serve well a general readership along with undergraduate students. Annotation ©2007 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Bestselling CRIMINOLOGY: THEORIES, PATTERNS, AND TYPOLOGIES, 10e delivers the most comprehensive, in-depth analysis of criminological theory and crime typologies available. Offering unparalleled breadth and depth of coverage, this book is unrivaled in its exhaustive research base and currency, devoting two all-new chapters to cyber-crime and terrorism--two of the hottest issues in the field today. Packed with real-world illustrations, the Tenth Edition includes cutting-edge seminal research, up-to-the-minute policy, newsworthy examples, and hundreds of new references. A proven author and authority in criminology and criminal justice, Dr. Siegel is renowned for his unbiased presentation of theories, issues, and controversies. Avoiding ideological biases, Prof. Siegel encourages readers to weigh the evidence and form their own conclusions.
In Essentials of Criminal Justice, students will be challenged to think about ethical decisions and then presented with an opportunity to apply their own sense of ethics to everyday decision making in criminal justice. The book provides students with a thorough knowledge of the criminal justice system. It describes current methods of social control and analyzes their strengths and weaknesses. Part One of this book gives the student a basic introduction to crime, law, and justice and Part Two offers an overview of law enforcement.
JUVENILE DELINQUENCY: THE CORE, 5th Edition delivers cutting-edge coverage of essential theory, policy, and the latest research in one value-priced, reader-friendly paperback. Renowned for its balanced approach and engaging writing style, this brief book helps readers understand the nature of delinquency and its causes, as well as current strategies being used to control or eliminate its occurrence. Available with InfoTrac Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
Unrivaled in its current coverage of topics, the best-selling JUVENILE DELINQUENCY: THEORY, PRACTICE, AND LAW, Eleventh Edition, provides you with timely coverage of theory, policy, and the latest research. Praised for its balanced approach and for the authors? engaging writing style, this text will help you understand the nature of delinquency and its causes, as well as current strategies being used to control or eliminate its occurrence.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.