This Third Edition of TAKING SIDES: UNITED STATES HISTORY SINCE 1945 presents current controversial issues in a debate-style format designed to stimulate student interest and develop critical thinking skills. Each issue is thoughtfully framed with an issue summary, an issue introduction, and a postscript. An instructor's manual with testing material is available for each volume.
Taking Sides: Clashing Views in United States History, Volume 1: The Colonial Period to Reconstruction (15th Edition)by Larry Madaras James M. Sorelle
The book is a debate-style reader designed to introduce students to controversies in the history of the United States. The readings, which represent the arguments of leading historians, reflect opposing positions and have been selected for their liveliness and substance and because of their value in a debate framework.
Taking Sides: Clashing Views in United States History, Volume 2, Reconstruction to the Present (Fourteenth Edition)by Larry Madaras James W. Sorelle
The understanding that the reader arrives at based on the evidence that emerges from the clash of views, encourages the reader to view history as an interpretive discipline, not one of rote memorization.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.