- Table View
- List View
We have attempted to extend the road map that the father of community policing sketched and bring it back into contemporary focus.
Community policing is a philosophy and organizational strategy that expands the traditional police mandate of fighting crime to include forming partnerships with citizenry that endorse mutual support and participation. The first textbook of its kind, Community Policing: A Contemporary Perspective delineates this progressive approach, combining the accrued wisdom and experience of its established authors with the latest research based insights to help students apply what is on the page to the world beyond. 'Spotlight on Community Policing Practice' sections feature real-life community policing programs in various cities, and problem-solving case studies cover special topics. The text has been revised throughout to include the most current developments in the field such as how the current climate of suspicion associated with terrorism threats affects the trust so necessary for community policing, and how the newest technologies can be harnessed to facilitate police interactions with citizens. Additionally, the book now explores the fragmentation of authority and emphasizes the importance of partnerships among the numerous law enforcement agencies, government agencies, and private social service agencies. Community policing expands the police mandate beyond fighting crime to include solving community problems in partnership with citizens. New edition is updated and revised, and has new coverage of: community policing, terrorism, and homeland security; community policing and technology; and community policing and the fragmentation of authority. Study aids in the book include key concepts, learning objectives, chapter summaries, and discussion questions. Online study aids include self-quizzing, topic-specific case studies that help students turn theory into practice. Instructor aids include customizable lesson plans that connect chapter-based learning objectives to specific resources, text bank, powerpoint lecture slides, video clips of authors summarizing each chapter, and links to additional video and online resources.
With riveting examples taken from today's headlines, cutting-edge material on careers, new ways to help students think and write critically, and an engaging magazine-style design, this text is perfect for today's busy students and instructors.
This textbook introduces the criminal justice system and particularly examines the roles played by police, courts, and corrections. Gaines (California State University) and Miller discuss measurements and explanations of crime, criminal law, police organization, pretrial procedures, criminal trials, punishment and sentencing, probation and community corrections, juvenile justice, the drug war, and cybercrime. The fifth edition adds a chapter on homeland security and sections on police strategies, jail overcrowding, and school violence. Annotation ©2008 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.