- Table View
- List View
From the acclaimed author of My Diet Starts Tomorrow -- a sexy and suspenseful novel about love, work, weight, relationships (and murder), that reflects the passionate and empowered woman inside all of us. Ever thought about quitting your job? Murdering your boss? Getting rid of those extra pounds and keeping them off? In her captivating second novel, Laurel Handfield takes readers into the not-very-fulfilling life of twenty-eight-year-old Jordan. When we meet her, Jordan is working as a secretary for an insensitive employer who constantly mistreats her. Lacking in self-confidence, she passively accepts the daily humiliation and degradation. That is, until his partner Trent Prescott engages her in candlelit dinners and sizzling nights of passion. In spite of her insecurities about her self-worth (and weight), Trent makes Jordan feel alive again. Then as sudden violence spirals out of control and suspicion falls on Jordan, Trent reaches out to help her. Can she trust him? Faced with a crisis that will determine the rest of her life, Jordan knows she has to change in order to survive. The only problem is that she may not recognize the woman staring back at her from the mirror. Can love change a woman? Is there such a thing as an ideal soul mate? Filled with rich emotional drama and romantic suspense and featuring an engaging heroine with whom readers will instantly identify, Mirror, Mirror is another winning gem from a wonderful new voice in African-American literature.
A fresh and funny take on the perils of dating from a gifted new African-American writer.Monica is a girl whose standards have hit rock bottom. Having dated so many loosers, she doesn't even care that her latest, Mark, has some baggage -- baggage that has a name and face and harnesses her every chance she gets. But hey, everyone has a skeleton in the closet, right? Could he be the one, imperfections aside? Will she bother to press the issue? Should she just bolt for the door and forget the whole thing? Before she can decide, things get complicated when she meets a guy who encompasses everything she looks for in a man. There's just one problem: he lives in another country.In this exciting first novel, Laurel Laurel Handfield deftly captures the moments of humor, frustration, hope, and uncertainty that are inevitable parts of every new relationship. Sarcastic, heartwarming, and always entertaining, My Diet Starts Tomorrow will appeal to anyone who's been knocked down by the dating scene -- only to get right back up and into it again.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.