Dragons, giants, sea serpents--these are the monsters of yesteryear, but they lived only in the imagination. People today still like to create monsters, but everyone knows they aren't real. Or are they? There are scary creatures in the world that may seem like monsters, and they can be very dangerous. But many "monsters" are less exciting and harmful than people would believe. The truth about these creatures-and some that live only in the human imagination--is in this book!
A simple discussion of death as it applies to the plant and animal kingdom. Straightforward in its approach to the role of death in nature, this classic book will help youngsters toward an understanding and acceptance of this mystery of life.
Feral! The very word has disturbing, even frightening connotations. The reality of the situation, the rapid increase in our country's population of feral animals-tame animals gone wild-is equally disturbing and potentially dangerous. Laurence Pringle, who has been called "the acknowledged master at getting across complicated scientific concepts and the politics of environmental issues to older children" by Environmental Action, here examines the many complex factors involved in this tragic situation. He presents the history of America's most common feral animals (birds, pigs, dogs, cats, burros and horses) and the impact they have on people, livestock, food crops, native wildlife and the ecology, and he explores the growing, highly emotional controversy surrounding them +involving environmental, humane, political and economic issues.
It's not your imagination: Earth is getting warmer. Global warming is perhaps the most prominent environmental issue of the past decade. Award-winning writer Laurence Pringle describes the causes of this worldwide trend, exploring its past, present, and potential future damage to our climate, ecology, and economy. He also offers practical solutions that will help avert a global disaster of our own making.
SAVE YOUR LIFE! "With older customers dying and others managing to quit, young people represent the tobacco industry's main hope of maintaining sales. Teenagers are the primary source of new smokers." --from Smoking: A Risky Business. You've heard the hype. Now read the facts. What you don't know about cigarette smoking can hurt you--bad.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.