- Table View
- List View
Between 1918 and the early 1930s, some five million people worldwide fell ill with a strange neurological disorder called encephalitis lethargica. Symptoms included convulsions, hallucinations, hyperactivity, deranged speech and behavior, coma, and in many cases, death. Carlson compares accounts of the 20th century pandemic with descriptions of the "demonic possession" reported in early New England. She builds a strong case that the bewitched persons in Salem and other New England towns may have been ill with encephalitis lethargica.
Washington in the Pacific Northwest is a middle school Washington history textbook. The outline for this book is based on Washington's Essential Learning Requirements for social studies and teaches geography, civics, economics, and history. The book places the state's historical events in the context of our nation's history.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.