- Table View
- List View
This fifth edition of Biology builds upon the earlier versions' dual goals: to help students construct a conceptual appreciation of life within the context of integrating themes and to inspire students to develop more positive and realistic impressions of science as a human activity. Those teaching values evolved in the classroom, and it is gratifying that the book's conceptual approach and emphasis on science as a process have had such widespread appeal for biology courses all over the world.
This book makes students familiar with the scientific process, in particular with the posing and testing of hypotheses. With an improved introduction to the process of science in Chapter 1, students will be better equipped to appreciate the many examples throughout the book of how scientific concepts emerge from observations and experimental evidence. The book also puts human faces on science with "Talking About Science" modules. A number of these profiles of interesting scientists are new to this edition.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.