- Table View
- List View
With this book, the Economic Policy Institute, a nonprofit think-tank focusing on the economic conditions of low- and middle-income workers, for the first time presents its data in the form of a readable narrative and interpretation written especially for general readers and students, made accessible with numerous charts and graphs. Bivens, an economist at the Economic Policy Institute and a frequent commentator for major media outlets, demonstrates that the Great Recession of 2008 was "driven by cluelessness and greed on the part of the country's financial elite," focusing on poor policy choices since the late 1970s. He examines the causes and impact of the Great Recession and explains evidence on jobs, incomes, wages, and other factors most relevant to low- and middle-income workers. He also describes what remains to be done to reform exchange rate, monetary, and fiscal policies. A companion website, "The State of Working America," provides the think-tank's annual compilations of economic data in interactive, downloadable charts and graphs, along with detailed readings on topics such as income inequality. The book lacks a subject index. IRL Press is an imprint of Cornell University Press. Annotation ©2011 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Praise for previous editions of The State of Working America: "The State of Working America remains unrivaled as the most-trusted source for a comprehensive understanding of how working Americans and their families are faring in today's economy. "-Robert B. Reich "It is the inequality of wealth, argue the authors, rather than new technology (as some would have it), that is responsible for the failure of America's workplace to keep pace with the country's economic growth. The State of Working America is a well-written, soundly argued, and important reference book. "-Library Journal "If you want to know what happened to the economic well-being of the average American in the past decade or so, this is the book for you. It should be required reading for Americans of all political persuasions. "-Richard Freeman, Harvard University "A truly comprehensive and useful book that provides a reality check on loose statements about U. S. labor markets. It should be cheered by all Americans who earn their living from work. "-William Wolman, former chief economist, CNBC's Business Week "The State of Working America provides very valuable factual and analytic material on the economic conditions of American workers. It is the very best source of information on this important subject. "-Ray Marshall, University of Texas, former U. S. Secretary of Labor "An indispensable work . . . on family income, wages, taxes, employment, and the distribution of wealth. "-Simon Head, The New York Review of Books "No matter what political camp you're in, this is the single most valuable book I know of about the state of America, period. It is the most referenced, most influential resource book of its kind. "-Jeff Madrick, author of The End of Affluence "This book is the single best yardstick for measuring whether or not our economic policies are doing enough to ensure that our economy can, once again, grow for everybody. "-Richard A. Gephardt "The best place to review the latest developments in changes in the distribution of income and wealth. "-Lester Thurow The State of Working America, prepared biennially since 1988 by the Economic Policy Institute, includes a wide variety of data on family incomes, wages, taxes, unemployment, wealth, and poverty-data that enable the authors to closely examine the effect of the economy on the living standards of the American people. This edition, like the previous ones, exposes and analyzes the most recent and critical trends in the country.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.