- Table View
- List View
Love in a time of war is hard when you are on the wrong side. . . 1938. Penelope George lives a charmed existence preparing to be a debutante. But it is an empty life - a gilded cage with its door firmly shut on adventure and independence. When her sister Evadne needs help in Athens, Penny seizes the opportunity to escape to a future away from the straitjacket of London society. Arriving in the historic city, she reinvents herself, finding her true vocation as a Red Cross nurse, just another stranger among strangers until war breaks out. Greece is invaded and Penny finds herself stranded on the island of Crete, tending the wounded and dying, one of the few foreign nurses left on the battlefield. Forging a dangerous friendship with Yolanda, a young Jewish nurse, Penny attracts the unwanted attention of a high-ranking German officer. Little does she know how this encounter will change her life . . . Sixty years later, it is time for Penny to return, to make the journey she never thought she'd dare to, reliving those final dark days stranded on the island as the last remaining female foreigner. It's a pilgrimage which will lead her to a reunion with someone she thought she has lost forever - and the truth behind a secret buried deep in the past. eah Fleming was born in Lancashire and is married with three sons and a daughter. She writes from an old farmhouse in the Yorkshire Dales and an olive grove in Crete.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.