While young Gideon Tugwell desperately tries to keep his family together after his father dies, Emily Lodge's attempt to escape the South leaves her with being charged as a Union spy.
On a cruise from Los Angeles to Mexico, twelve-year-old Josh Ladd and his friend Tank find themselves involved in a dangerous adventure after a mysterious stranger slips a computer disk into Josh's bag.
In the Sierra Nevada Mountains, a thirteen-year-old Christian boy and his new friend discover that keeping a bear cub as a pet creates problems as the cub matures.
This first book of Lee Roddy's new series, Between Two Flags, introduces the young reader to the human conflicts in the American South during the Civil War.
Ages 8-12. Josh and his friends are swept into adventure when the bully King Kong challenges them to an outrigger canoe race. The boys accept the dare, but Kong determines to win the race by any means. A swamped boat, a life-threatening storm and a high-sea rescue all add to the peril of the race. In this page-turning story for 8- to 12-year-olds, Josh and his friends learn that it's not winning that counts but how you play the game. Other books in the Ladd Family Adventure series include: Secret of the Shark Pit, The Legend of Fire, Mystery of the Island Jungle, Mystery of the Wild Surfer and Secret of the Sunken Sub.
Although Hildy Corrigan has found her family, they are now threatened by another disaster. Who could she turn to for help?
A thirteen-year-old Christian, his best friend, and a hound dog search for an arsonist responsible for setting several forest fires in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Alone and afraid, D.J. Dillon and his buddy Alfred Milford must find a doctor fast. D.J.'s been bitten by a flea, and it's possible that D.J. now has the deadly bubonic plague.
A petty quarrel and efforts to foil poachers who are after some rare birds seem unimportant as members of the Ladd family separately struggle to survive when a powerful hurricane hits the island of Kauai.
The soft footsteps continued up the wall outside the bedroom door. In a moment, D.J. heard them start across the ceiling toward his bed! They passed over the bed and down the wall behind the headboard toward the window. D.J. couldn't stand it any longer! He swung the boot behind his shoulder, holding it cocked to smash for¬ward while he groped for the light on his nightstand. He switched it on. The wall was exactly the same as when he'd turned out the light a few hours ago--except--the footsteps continued. D.J. heard the window slide up. He heard it clearly. But with the light on, he could see the window hadn't moved!
Danger and adventure await as the "ugly mutt" proves his courage--and D.J. learns an important lesson about judging other people.
A young Christian inadvertently places his family in danger on Hawaii's Kona Coast when he videotapes the dramatic rescue of two drowning children which leads to his father's kidnapping.
D.J. Dillon's latest adventure begins one night in the darkened woods when D.J. and his buddy Alfred hear a weird noise.
D.J. didn't see any harm in unfastening the leash from his little dog, Hero, for a run in the mountains, but that simple act caused the boy a world of fear and pain.
D.J. gets a bad case of "gold fever" when he and Alfred accidentally discover an abandoned-- and mysteriously dangerous-- gold mine.
Twelve-year-old Josh Ladd's discovery in the Kauai jungle of a Japanese World War II airplane and its pilot who doesn't realize the war is over leads him on a race against time with a conniving foe.
Josh Ladd encounters a series of life-threatening situations when he befriends a mysterious young surfer named Duke.
Josh and his friends investigate mysterious lights on Molokai and try to figure out how to get a valuable surfboard back from the neighborhood bully, Kong.
The Great Depression had seemed far away from their beloved Ozarks. But now it threatened to tear their family apart.
Two boys learn more about trusting God when they are captured by the inhabitants of a tropical island.
As fifteen-year-old Gideon seeks work in the Confederate capital, tensions at home are inflamed by President Lincoln's ultimatum to the rebelling states.
Preteens can experience the Civil War through the eyes of Gideon, a poor Virginia farm boy; Emily, an orphaned Northerner; and Nat, a young slave who hopes to escape. A series that makes learning history fun.
D.J. Dillon helps prove the hermit Zeke Zeering could be right about an impending mudslide. He also must deal with his own desire for revenge against the vicious dogs who attacked his hound, Hero.
Several acts of disobedience against his father's orders plunge twelve-year-old Josh into terrible trouble during a search for a long-lost Hawaiian treasure guarded by sharks.
When twelve-year-old Josh witnesses the sinking of a Soviet robot submarine off the coast of a Hawaiian island, he becomes the quarry of Russian spies racing to beat the United States Navy to the sub and its secrets.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.