- Table View
- List View
Due to the complexity of the mitochondrial system and the myriad genes involved in their function, the clinical manifestations of mitochondrial diseases are remarkably variable and heterogeneous. The laboratory and clinical methodologies used to evaluate dysfunction may vary widely, and thusly a systematic presentation of the numerous protocols that are applied to the assessment of these clinically and genetically heterogeneous disorders has proven to be essential. Mitochondrial Disorders: Biochemical and Molecular Analysis strives to fill this need with a collection of key protocols provided by leading experts in the field. Beginning with overviews of complexity of mitochondrial and nuclear genome disorders, the book continues with a section devoted to current biochemical protocols and a part focused on the DNA-based approaches used to identify molecular defects. Written in the highly successful Methods in Molecular BiologyTM series format, chapters contain introductions to their respective topics, lists of the necessary materials and reagents, step-by-step, readily reproducible laboratory protocols, and tips on troubleshooting and avoiding known pitfalls. Detailed and authoritative, Mitochondrial Disorders: Biochemical and Molecular Analysis serves as a vital guide to researchers seeking to understand this incredibly complicated type of breakdown in cellular biology.
Mitochondrial cytopathies are mutations in the inherited maternal mitochondrial genome, or the nuclear DNA-mutation. Mitochondrial respiratory chain disorders (RCD) are a group of genetically and clinically heterogeneous diseases, due to the fact that protein components of the respiratory chain are encoded by both mitochondrial and nuclear genomes and are essential in all cells. In addition, the biogenesis, structure and function of mitochondria, including DNA replication, transcription, and translation, all require nuclear encoded genes. Since mitochondria are present in every cell, every tissue, mitochondrial disorder usually affects multiple organs.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.