Everybody in Chicago has a "superhero sighting" story. So when a villain attacks editorial assistant Gail Godwin and she's rescued by superhero Blaze, it's a great story, and nothing more. Until it happens again. And again. Now the media has dubbed her Hostage Girl, nobody remembers her real name, and people are convinced that Blaze is just her boyfriend, Jeremy, in disguise.Gail's not so sure. All she knows is that when both Jeremy and Blaze leave town in the same week, she's probably doomed. Who will save her now?Yet, miraculously, the villains lose interest. Gail is able to return to her life ... until she wakes up strapped to a metal table by a mad scientist who hasn't read the news. After escaping--now more than human herself--she's drawn into a secret underground world of superheroes. She'll have to come to terms with her powers (and weaknesses) to make it in the new society, and it's not easy. After all, there's a new villain on the rise, and she has her sights set on the one and only Hostage Girl.
The stakes are huge and the hero is short when Hostage Girl returns snarkier than ever in Lexie Dunne's urban superhero fantasy Supervillains AnonymousNew superhero Gail Godwin, the one and only Hostage Girl, is in big trouble: her nemesis Chelsea is loose, her trainer Angélica is dead, and everybody thinks Gail did it. To make matters worse, Davenport Industries has thrown her into a prison that just happens to be full of the very same supervillains who used to kidnap her on an almost daily basis.Outside, things aren't going all that great either. There's a conspiracy that runs all the way to the bedrock of the superhero community, and it's affecting everybody Gail loves. With her friends in the crosshairs, it's up to her to escape and get to the bottom of things. Subterfuge, crime-fighting, and running away from everybody you know should be a cinch, right?Wrong. Gail faces off against hero and villain alike just to stay alive. And you know what they say about supervillains: if you can't beat them...join them.
Harper Voyager USA, part of the global science fiction and fantasy imprint of HarperCollins, presents Voyager, a free ebook sampler with excerpts from 15 new or upcoming releases, as well as an introduction from New York Times bestselling author Richard Kadrey.You'll find:An Introduction from Richard KadreyExcerpts fromThorn Jack by Katherine HarbourThe Stolen by Bishop O'ConnellThe God Hunter by Tim LeesSoda Pop Soldier by Nick ColeThe Getaway God by Richard KadreyOnce Upon a Rhyme by Jack HeckelDemon by Erik WilliamsThe Witch With No Name by Kim HarrisonClockwork Dagger by Beth CatoSuperheroes Anonymous by Lexie DunneAsylum Tales Part I: Demon's Fury by Jocelynn DrakeFish Tails by Sherri TepperBlack Dog by Caitlin KittredgeMetrophage by Richard KadreyOn Her Majesty's Behalf by Joseph Nassise
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.