Families, communities, and societies influence children's learning and development in many ways. This is the first handbook devoted to the understanding of the nature of environments in child development. Utilizing Urie Bronfenbrenner's idea of embedded environments, this volume looks at environments from the immediate environment of the family (including fathers, siblings, grandparents, and day-care personnel) to the larger environment including schools, neighborhoods, geographic regions, countries, and cultures. Understanding these embedded environments and the ways in which they interact is necessary to understand development.
Authoritative and comprehensive, this volume provides a contemporary psychodynamic perspective on frequently encountered psychological disorders in adults, children, and adolescents. Leading international authorities review the growing evidence base for psychoanalytic theories and therapeutic models. Chapters on each disorder examine its etiology and psychological mechanisms, discuss diagnostic issues, and thoroughly describe effective treatment strategies. Highly accessible, the book is richly illustrated with clinical case material. It demonstrates ways in which psychodynamic theory and therapy are enhanced by integrating ideas and findings from neuroscience, social and personality psychology, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and other fields.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.