- Table View
- List View
Hidden Jewel is the fourth thrilling novel in the V. C. Andrews Landry series. Following All That Glitters, the spellbinding story of Ruby Landrys daring struggle to find a happy life with Beau Andreas and to protect their precious daughter. Sheltered from sorrow, innocent young Pearl thrives in the sunshine of a loving home. . . except for the haunting nightmares of her earliest years, and the dark family secrets she worries will one day shadow her destiny. . . . Raised in a New Orleans mansion filled with kindness and laughter, Pearl dreams of becoming a doctor. With all the finest families wishing her well, her high school graduation party is almost as festive as Mardi Gras itself. But still, she fears that she will never know the essence of romantic passion, or her familys buried secrets. Yet her summer job in an elegant old hospital is fascinating. . . and an experienced intern is eager to share his friendship with her. But the sultry Louisiana heat cannot dispel her familys sinful legacy, the snakelike treachery of a man who threatens Pearls innocence, or an awful portent of disaster. After a cruel accident befalls one of Pearls twin brothers, the bayou that seized him beckons to Ruby who flees, tormented, back to her Cajun roots. Pearls faith in her mother abides, but she cannot hold back her tears when her other brother falls deathly ill, and her father retreats into his own bourbon-soaked world. Pearls dreams of success swirl away with the hurricane winds, and she journeys to the swamps in search of her mother and the shocking truths of her heritage. In the warm embrace of a gentle Cajun man, she discovers a blessed refuge. But, until the storm clouds clear, Pearl cannot savor the springtime sweetness that always, always seems beyond tomorrow. . . .
Steampunk is fun! Steampunk is imaginative! It's making something new out of something old. It's dressing up in clothing from long ago. It's inventing machines out of hardware and found objects. It's creating a make-believe world!In Professor Whiskerton Presents Steampunk ABC, two mice dressed in Victorian clothing use gadgets and found objects -- each starting with a letter of the alphabet--to build something fantastic - which is revealed at the end. A wonderful and delightful surprise!
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.