The dramatic fictionalized story of Simon Peter, from his first meeting with Christ, to his conversion and on through to Peter's death by crucifixion, set on the shores of Galilee, the crossroads of the world--a polyglot world of quarreling, scheming people, warring then as it is today. The author of The Robe takes us on a journey to discover the intertwined stories of Simon, the Big Fisherman, two-fisted and profane, who lays down his nets in a momentous act of faith; young princess Fara, half Judean and half Arabian, bent on an errand of vengeance to assassinate her Jewish father, Antipas, Tetrarch of Galilee; and Voldi, the young Arabian prince who takes up her vendetta when Fara is purged by an encounter with Jesus of her hate.
It began that first day of John Wesley Beaven's medical course. He was a First Year man. Dr. Milton Forrester, called Tubby, was the great surgeon, addressing his new class at the start of his Anatomy lectures. The two strong men clashed. And for years Jack Beaven bore, as best he could, the dislike, the personal antagonism, of his professional superior. From his own 'disputed passage' Jack Beaven learned great lessons -- lessons of patience and fortitude, of devotion to his profession, of humility, and of magnanimity. The popularity of the novels by Lloyd C. Douglas is due to two outstanding characteristics. One of those is the entertaining, often exciting, story. The other is the fact that each of them has been written to demonstrate a way of life which, if incorporated into the belief and the behavior of the individual, might promote success and happiness.
Dinny was born to hatred: born in savage revolt against the world that had caught and crushed his too-trusting young mother. By the time he was twenty-five he had been successively typesetter, reporter, football star, and columnist. He had rocked a small mid-Western college to its foundations by blacking the eyes of its Y.M.C.A. Secretary in defense of his college president. For this he had been expelled. But expulsion had only given him the chance to use his biting pen to better advantage.
On the surface this is a simple story, but after reading the book, it probably isn't. There are good and not-so-good remembrances. There is new love, lost love, and regained love. And there is God--all love. It is a Christmas story, but much more, it is life's realities.
When Robert Merrick's life is saved at the expense of the life of an eccentric but adored surgeon, the carefree playboy is forced to reevaluate his own path. Merrick embarks on a course of anonymous philanthropy, inspired by reading the doctor's private papers. An engaging and dramatic story of personal redemption and private sacrifice, this spiritual tale has served as an inspiration for both the stage and screen.
A Roman soldier, Marcellus, wins Christ's robe as a gambling prize. He then sets forth on a quest to find the truth about the Nazarene's robe-a quest that reaches to the very roots and heart of Christianity and is set against the vividly limned background of ancient Rome. Here is a timeless story of adventure, faith, and romance, a tale of spiritual longing and ultimate redemption.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.