- Table View
- List View
The dramatic fictionalized story of Simon Peter, from his first meeting with Christ, to his conversion and on through to Peter's death by crucifixion, set on the shores of Galilee, the crossroads of the world--a polyglot world of quarreling, scheming people, warring then as it is today. The author of The Robe takes us on a journey to discover the intertwined stories of Simon, the Big Fisherman, two-fisted and profane, who lays down his nets in a momentous act of faith; young princess Fara, half Judean and half Arabian, bent on an errand of vengeance to assassinate her Jewish father, Antipas, Tetrarch of Galilee; and Voldi, the young Arabian prince who takes up her vendetta when Fara is purged by an encounter with Jesus of her hate.
It began that first day of John Wesley Beaven's medical course. He was a First Year man. Dr. Milton Forrester, called Tubby, was the great surgeon, addressing his new class at the start of his Anatomy lectures. The two strong men clashed. And for years Jack Beaven bore, as best he could, the dislike, the personal antagonism, of his professional superior. From his own 'disputed passage' Jack Beaven learned great lessons -- lessons of patience and fortitude, of devotion to his profession, of humility, and of magnanimity. The popularity of the novels by Lloyd C. Douglas is due to two outstanding characteristics. One of those is the entertaining, often exciting, story. The other is the fact that each of them has been written to demonstrate a way of life which, if incorporated into the belief and the behavior of the individual, might promote success and happiness.
Dinny was born to hatred: born in savage revolt against the world that had caught and crushed his too-trusting young mother. By the time he was twenty-five he had been successively typesetter, reporter, football star, and columnist. He had rocked a small mid-Western college to its foundations by blacking the eyes of its Y.M.C.A. Secretary in defense of his college president. For this he had been expelled. But expulsion had only given him the chance to use his biting pen to better advantage.
On the surface this is a simple story, but after reading the book, it probably isn't. There are good and not-so-good remembrances. There is new love, lost love, and regained love. And there is God--all love. It is a Christmas story, but much more, it is life's realities.
A Roman soldier, Marcellus, wins Christ's robe as a gambling prize. He then sets forth on a quest to find the truth about the Nazarene's robe-a quest that reaches to the very roots and heart of Christianity and is set against the vividly limned background of ancient Rome. Here is a timeless story of adventure, faith, and romance, a tale of spiritual longing and ultimate redemption.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.