Spine-chilling, original ghost stories by some of today's best writers, including R.L. Stine, Richard Peck, Margaret Mahy, Todd Strasser, and more. These bone-chilling stories by some of today's top writers may keep you awake at night! Just remember: o Skeletons don't always "rest in peace." o Ghosts hate being ignored. o Even cell phones can't be trusted. If you mess with bones, you can get rattled!
From Lois Metzger, the acclaimed author of A Trick of the Light, comes a work of speculative fiction set in the near future about a teen girl who gains a new perspective on her life. Perfect for readers who enjoyed Adam Silvera's More Happy than Not.Rose has changed. She still lives in the same neighborhood and goes to the same high school with the same group of kids, but when she woke up today, something was a little different. Her clothes and her hair don't suit her anymore. The dogs who live upstairs are no longer a terror. She wants to throw a party--this from a girl who hardly ever spoke to her classmates. There's no more sadness in her life; she's bursting with happiness.But something still feels wrong to Rose. Because until very recently, she was an entirely different person--a person who's still there inside her, just beneath the thinnest layer of skin.
A gripping tale of one young girl's struggle to survive during the Holocaust. When her mother is killed by the Gestapo, a Jewish girl named Lola is sent into hiding. At first, Lola secretly lives in the home of a Ukrainian woman. But when someone threatens to expose her to the Nazis, Lola must flee again, this time hiding with another family in a dirt hole beneath a barn for 9 months. Struggling against cold and hunger, the hidden family lives under the constant threat of discovery. Lola has lost everything--her home and her family. All she has left is one article of clothing, a dress lovingly embroidered by her mother. Will Lola ever find safety--or freedom?
Mike Welles had everything under control. He was a good student, an outfielder on the baseball team, a good son, a loyal friend. But that was before. Now things are rough at home, and theyre getting confusing at school. Hes losing his sense of direction, and he feels like a mess. Then theres a voice in his head. A friend, trying to help him regain control. More than that: The voice can guide him to become better and stronger than he was before, to rid his life of everything holding him back. To figure out who he is again. If only Mike will listen. Writing with devastating power and precision, acclaimed author Lois Metzger gives us the story of one young mans battle with his own shadows--a spare, stark, and vital tale of the way in which the things we build to protect ourselves can threaten to destroy us.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.