- Table View
- List View
For an insider's take on the last eighty years in Minnesota history, sit down with Tom H. Swain's memoir. It is a personal look at the people and events that shaped the state's history, written by a civic and business leader--and a true public servant--with a genuine knack for telling a story. From business to athletics, politics to education, Swain is a key player. He's been a mayor, a University of Minnesota vice president, a chief of staff to former Minnesota governor Elmer L. Andersen, and a member and chair of numerous nonprofit and civic boards. In Citizen Swain: Tales from a Minnesota Life, he brings his vibrant presence and meaningful contributions to life eloquently, giving readers a rare glimpse into the inner workings of institutions and their leaders. Swain was more than a witness to state history. He helped make it happen. Readers learn what it was like to be a part of Governor Andersen's administration--including details about the dramatic vote recount that ended his term. Swain's dedication to education and sports shine through as he speaks of his service at the University of Minnesota. Over the years in positions ranging from ticket manager in the athletic department to vice president, Swain got to know Gopher coach Bernie Bierman and three University of Minnesota presidents--Nils Hasselmo, Mark Yudof, and Robert Bruininks. Twenty-three years at the St. Paul Companies gave him profound insight into the state's oldest corporation. Whether he's describing the hard work behind the scenes of the massive civic celebration of the state's centennial or growing up in 1930s and 1940s Minneapolis, Swain's passion for making Minnesota a better place comes through in these remembrances, told with warmth, respect, and not a small amount of wit. Citizen Swain will be an inspiration to anyone seeking to make positive change through active citizenship.
Autobiography of the popular Minnesota Governor in the 1950's.
The Pillsburys of Minnesota "Pillsbury" is a household word in many parts of the world, but in Minnesota it has carried a special import ever since the arrival of John S. Pillsbury, his brother George, and nephews Charles and Fred at the Falls of st. Anthony in the mid-nineteenth century. Here Star Tribune columnist Lori Sturdevant chronicles the family's pioneering role in making Minneapolis the milling capitol of the world. she explores the career of Minnesota governor "Honest John "Pillsbury, and also highlights the instrumental part he played in the growth of the University of Minnesota. Alfred Pillsbury's impact on the Minneapolis Institue of Arts, Philip's remarkable success at reviving a moribund milling giant through the introduction of new food products and George's efforts to fashion a more inclusive Republican Party, are only a few of the many strands woven into the Pillsbury story. From mining camps and insurance companies to arts organizations and charitable concerns, the family's imprint on Minnesota runs deep and wide. Book jacket.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.